We make things. Better.
Whilst, in general, machines are often already designed to minimise contact between operators and hazardous parts, machine injuries caused by unsafe operation or improper maintenance do sometimes occur. Machine Guards do exactly what they say on the tin – they are designed to guard the hazardous part of the machinery and make it much safer and easier to use – whether that be to prevent direct injury from the machine, or to protect operators from any sparks, shaving or shards that might come from the working machine.
There are various different types of machine guards that might be appropriate for your machinery. These include:
- Fixed Guards – most often used to close off any hazards that the operator doesn’t need to interact with, such as fan blades or flywheels – fixed machine guards are permanently attached to the machinery and can’t be moved whilst the machine is in use.
- Adjustable guards – similar to fixed guards, adjustable guards are permanent, however they can be manually adjusted to allow for varying stock sizes.
- Self-adjusting guards – often found on table saws and woodworking tools, self-adjusting guards serve the same purpose as adjustable guards but automatically open just enough to allow the material in and therefore keeps the remainder of the hazard point covered.
- Interlocking guards – these machine guards have to be removed or opened to allow for insertion of material, automatically shutting the power off when such occurs. This effectively eliminates any hazard and allows for safe access to the inside of machine without having to completely disassemble it.
Example Uses – Where can a mezzanine floor be used?
Machine guards can be used in various different situations. Whilst they are most specifically designed to protect against any contact with moving machine parts, they can also protect against:
- Flying chips, shards, sparks or splashes of any harmful metal or liquids.
- Mechanical and electrical failures.
We make things. Reliable.
Expert Metal Fabrication
At C&C, we fabricate a range of different products. From mezzanine floors, safety barriers, bollards, machine guards, suspended walkways and platforms to staircases, lifting frames and work stations. Read some of our informative articles to see how our products and services can help you.